Sawyer Ellic Binkley Part 1

I want to say first and foremost that God’s hand is all over this one. Seriously. This is Sawyer’s story.

We went into the hospital on Wednesday morning after a long night of major fear and anxiety. After that routine visit and the ultrasound, we were told that induction was needed because the doctor would feel better. Having great trust for his judgment, we had agreed to the ultrasound in the first place. He said he didn’t like surprises and just wanted to make sure that Sawyer was head down and this wouldn’t be a breech birth.

We got to Baptist at 7:30, checked in, waited to be taken back to the room. I was so nervous I could figure out how to use the coffee vending machine. We were taken back to our room and introduced to our nurse, Robin. I thank the Lord that He provided her on Wednesday. That lady is amazing! She was funny, knowledgeable, very capable and probably the coolest nurse ever.

She was like, “If you guys don’t want visitors, I have no problem making people mad at me…” God send!

So Dr. Wingo came in around 8:30 to try breaking Carrie’s water and it just wasn’t happening. Too much pressure, pain and too little dilation. He decided to come back at noon and try again. Another few hours of engrossing hospital T.V.! Rock the party. Robin started the potussin. Induction well under way, contractions becoming regular and Carrie is feeling no pain. She was literally not feeling anything but a little pressure with these things going pretty heavy according to the monitors. That in itself was a miracle, after the anxiety built up over the pain part of this process.

Robin came in between 10:15 and 10:30 and said Dr. Wingo wanted to go ahead and do the epidural. He said why feel the pain of breaking the water and the amp up of the contractions if she didn’t have to? Again, this is a doctor that we trusted implicitly and we agreed. After all, he did this every day, right? Trust and faith.

The epidural went flawlessly, she was amazing through all of it, and was a pillar of strength and calm through the entire morning. I was in awe of the difference between her that morning and the night before. Prayer is awesome. So we waited for 12:00 to roll around and nada. The contractions were growing ever more pronounced and steady in spacing. We noticed the monitor for Sawyer’s heartbeat going a little haywire for a bit, so they turned down the potussin and gave Carrie oxygen for a while.

Dr. Wingo comes in and breaks Carrie’s water. All looked good he said, though there was a slight amount of blood he wanted to watch for a bit. He and his assistant left for a minute or two and Robin came in and took a look and said she’d be right back. She had gone out the door and asked Dr. Wingo to take one more look before he made his rounds. He agreed, came back in and said immediately after another look that we were about to have a baby.

I was like, “Cool. so when you say about to, are you being sarcastic? Seriously, about how long?”

He rolled his stool over to me, sat down and looked me in the eye and said, “When I say we are about to have a baby, I mean now, not 15 minutes from now. We’ll get you a gown and come get you in a few minutes.”

Carrie then proceeds to tell me I have 1 call and hurry, as they are wheeling her to the Operating Room. So, in shock, I walk out into the hallway wondering where they have just taken my wife and trying to decide who I am calling. I made a call to her folks, then to my mom, then to my dad. After that, I went to find Carrie.

Now I am outside the OR and asking for a gown so I can be with my wife and it may have been 5 minutes that had passed since they wheeled her away but it feels like an hour! They come get me and I walk in to see my wife laid out on a table, a thin blue paper wall separating her and the doctor. I go over and hold her hand, kiss her cheek and have a nice nurse wheel over a rolling chair in which to sit.

I have no idea what Carrie and I are talking about, but it was all very calm and surreal as I see them rearranging her insides to get Sawyer out. He rises from her abdomen and I watch the nurses wash him in the corner and listen to Dr. Wingo cracking his dry-witted jokes as he methodically handles her liver and who knows what else with practiced ease.

I hear Carrie make a noise and I see a look on her face like discomfort and she asks,” What are they doing down there?”

“That is none of my business, hun,” was my reply.

Two minutes or so later we are looking at our son and I’m asked to walk him up to the nursery.

Wrap up to come in Part 2…